Wednesday, February 29, 2012

If You're Raped Be Sure The Police Arrive So They Can Punch You In The Face

Internal Affairs investigates claims of police brutality



"SAN ANTONIO -

Internal Affairs investigators at the San Antonio Police Department are investigating claims that an SAPD officer used excessive force last month when he attempted to detain a woman who reportedly had broken into her boyfriend's home.

Rebecca Gibson, who chose to reveal her identity to the public even though she is a rape victim, said she was raped by two strangers while walking near her Northwest side apartment, located on Cinnamon Creek Drive, on Jan. 17.

Gibson said the men stopped to ask her if she needed a ride and things quickly spiraled out of control.

"Two men in a truck pulled up beside of me and asked if I needed a ride (and) I told them no," Gibson said. "I told them no again and one of them hit me in the back of the head and I woke up at four in the morning with no clothes, no money, no phone."

Gibson said she woke up in a laundry facility about a half-mile from her apartment complex. She said she walked back to her apartment and grabbed some clothes. From there, she said she walked to her boyfriend's home where she says she got into a heated argument with him.

"He just completely flipped out," Gibson said, claiming he was upset she was out all night without calling him.

Gibson said the boyfriend called police and reported that she broke into his home.

When officers arrived, Gibson said she was hiding in a closet naked. She said the officers ordered her to leave the closet.

"I told them what had just happened to me and I asked for a female officer and the officer said I didn't have that option because it wasn't my house," Gibson said. "I told them I was naked. I told them I had just been raped and that I did not feel comfortable coming out of the closet with there only being two male officers there."

Gibson said she continued to refuse orders to leave the closet. Eventually, the officers had to use force to remove her.

"The police officer came into the closet punched me in the face so hard that he fractured the right orbital in my face," Gibson said.

Gibson was placed in handcuffs and transported to University Hospital where a rape exam was performed and Gibson's facial injuries were treated.

According to documents provided by Gibson to KSAT 12 News, an emergency room nurse wrote in a report the officer was bragging about hitting Gibson in the face."
Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.