Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Nasty, Nasty Trojan

Somehow or another I picked up this virus called AV Security Suite that knocked me off my usual computer. It's a piece of scareware crap that nags you to death to buy a product that will get rid of some fake trouble when in fact it's the scareware itself that's the problem.
It hijacks your browser and sends you to garbage sites, pops up nags every few seconds and prevents any application from starting, like Spybot. It just flips your LAN settings back to proxy server automatically. Have to stop everthing and shuttle files about with a stick while I try to extricate this bug. Nasty stuff.
Norton, what the hell am I paying you for?

5 Comments:

Blogger LesleyinNM said...

Nortons sucks for things like that! Download spybot (totally free) to get rid of crap like that - http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

23/6/10 5:14 PM  
Blogger LesleyinNM said...

I just read that again. You had a problem with spybot? I used it for years when I had windows and never had any problem.

23/6/10 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you have removed it by now.

No one should pay for anti-virus.
Nortons and McAfee are both inferior products

Everyone should be using

The free version of Malwarebytes--

AND either the free version of AVG or Avast
-I know sometimes it's hard to figure where to download the free versions of one of those(I forget which one,,Avast or AVG)
You don't them both, either one or the other. They both provide free updates

Just make sure to have them check for updates before you run them

HTH

23/6/10 6:43 PM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

Yes, Norton totally blew this one Lesley. The first real breach I've had and it's been a doozy.
The thing about this AV Trojan is that once it gets in it prevents other apps from starting, so no Spybot, no internet, no nothing in regular mode. Safe mode works for basic computer function, but the rotten virus even senses fix its there and shuts the computer down when you try to get rid of it.

Thank you for the info and link HTH. I'm unfortunately going to have to reformat to get rid of this and will investigate Malwarebytes when I do it.

23/6/10 8:27 PM  
Blogger retank said...

HTH means Hope That Helps

:)

I link to a lot of your stuff and I do credit you most the time. I have never had a large following, I mostly do this for future reference as I have been doing since 1996.
Most of anything I did before 1999 is no longer accessible.

But here I am, FYI

23/6/10 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.