Friday, August 10, 2007

A Plethora Of Scabrous Wenches

You know, I'm married and I'm not spending my days on the lookout for sex. I really don't like to play the nasty and belittling game of "fuckability quotient" that our sick and obsessive society instills in people as the be all and end all of human value. When dealing with strangers it's the universal values of kindness, empathy and all the rest that make me feel engaged and interested in interaction.

I'm on vacation with my wife in the high desert of Eastern Oregon. This is windswept land of enormous physical grandeour and raw beauty, except apparently for the women who inhabit it. I've seldom been in a place that was populated by a sorrier lot of scowling, unnatractive and apparently pissed off womenfolk who plainly aren't happy with being alive and want you to know all about it. You want to find radiant, cheerful and pleasant people of the distaff persuasion? Jeebus, it seems you won't find many here.

I don't know why this is. This is pretty unforgiving country, that's for sure. It's huge and sprawling, the climate is harsh and in years past I imagine being an open, forgiving soul got you exactly nowhere and a tough demeanour served you well. Maybe today's descendents are still cut from the same cloth or maybe the favorite pastime of the local yahoos is to get drunk and smack their wimmenfolk around, I don't know. It's just eerie to me to come across so much haggishness in one place, or perhaps it's just me because we drove over some rough road and I'm just pissed off because an inside dead bolt lock somehow engaged itself in our trailer and we had to smash a window just to get inside. That would tend to sour one's attitude, so discard everything I've said, they're all lovely saints, really.

Next up: Idaho, A Land Of Peevish Misanthropes

5 Comments:

Blogger knainak said...

In 1980 I rode a bicycle across Oregon from Coos Bay into Idaho. It was made less lonely by the fact of many women stopping me for discussion, so to speak. I was alone and in pretty good shape and took advantage of the situation many times. sorry they seem so peevish now. Juntura, a nice little town of only one gas station and a motel then, had a woman working at the grill....well it was a nice place to be. I had a great time and would do the ride again. Hope you have fun out there.

11/8/07 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Familiar with trailer nightmares. Drove a powdery, dusty mountain road connecting Lake Shasta and Whiskeytown and left the windows open by mistake. 106 degrees outside and when we arrived everything in the camper was covered with a thick layer of the stuff. As for the women up there, their purpose is to make you appreciate how great REAL women can be. Enjoy.

13/8/07 5:30 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I just wanted you to know, I pictured them in the typical Neanderthal garb with bones in their hair grunting, searching desperately for a vowel.

13/8/07 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... just an odd thought, because I know what it's like to be looked at the wrong way. Many women can look fine when in a good mood and look like real ugly witches when in a bad mood.

Sounds like either something local has been giving them a hard time, like maybe a problem with the fisheries or farms, or a bad politician or both or maybe they don't understand the term "lipstick on a pig"?

Btw, I did hera that the DEA started to give medical cannabis users (and their doctors) more trouble in Oregon very recently. Maybe the DEA just passed through before you?

Nick Z.

14/8/07 2:32 PM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

Gosh darn, don't know what it was, maybe something in the water, really them gals was a sorry bunch, but Idahoans more than balanced the scales eventually on our trip.

15/8/07 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.